The Calgary Climate Hub has composed this open letter to all Calgarian Candidates and Provincial Parties. We believe the public should have a clear understanding of all parties' and every candidate's climate plans in preparation to vote in the 2019 Provincial Election.
Calgarians Deserve to Know Provincial Candidates' (and Parties')
Climate Action Plans
We are asking that they answer these 5 questions below by April 4th. We will be publishing their responses to these questions here as well as making the information widely available to the public.
Climate Questions for Political Parties and Candidates
- Do you acknowledge the global scientific consensus on the facts of Climate Change?
- Do you agree with the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) recommendations to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 45% by 2030 to ensure we keep global warming to 1.5OC above pre-industrial levels? https://www.ipcc.ch/2018/10/08/summary-for-policymakers-of-ipcc-special-report-on-global-warming-of-1-5c-approved-by-governments/ What is your plan to achieve this?
- According to the Insurance Bureau of Canada, climate change will cause increased damage from floods, wildfires, heat and droughts. What specific actions would you take to mitigate and adapt to these risks in order to protect the province we love?
- Are you supportive of a provincial carbon levy as a tool to reduce emissions, and fund public infrastructure and energy innovation? If not, what other policy/policies would you propose in its place to achieve similar goals?
- As the world economy transitions toward cleaner energy sources, what would you/your government do to protect and assist workers in current fossil fuel industries as we diversify our economy?
Do you like this page?