Ward 14 Candidate Responses
We received responses from zero candidates in this ward. The Calgary Climate Hub is a non-partisan organization, and posting these responses does not indicate an endorsement. Responses are presented in the order they were received and have not been edited.
1. What are the top three issues you hope to make progress on during your time on Council?
2. Women - especially low-wage, racialized and newcomers - have been disproportionately impacted by the pandemic. In your capacity as a public servant, how will you address these impacts and ensure that all women benefit equitably from the economic recovery?
3. Calgary has been dipping into emergency funds to pay for operations for the past several years. How would you approach taxation and the delivery of programs and services to Calgarians?
4. What is your plan for diversifying Calgary’s economy for a just transition away from oil and gas?
Climate Change and the Environment
1. Will you commit to setting clear interim targets for Calgary and ENMAX to achieve net-zero GHG emissions by 2050 to help limit global warming to 1.5 degrees?
2. Will you work to reduce emissions from buildings to net-zero by (1) ensuring The City's Sustainable Building Policy has clear targets, is transparent, and requires third-party certification, and (2) by providing incentives for privately-owned new buildings and retrofits?
3. Will you support policies to ensure zero food waste not only from Calgary's restaurants, groceries, distributors, but also corporate events?
4. Will you strengthen the City's procurement policies to ensure goods and services are sustainably and ethically sourced? The Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply states that sustainable procurement "considers the impact of environmental, economic and social factors along with price and quality."
5. Do you support focusing new development within established areas instead of continuing to approve new developments on the outskirts of Calgary?
6. Will you support completion of the Green Line, including crossing the river to 16 Avenue N?
7. Do you commit to providing equal access to low-cost, low-carbon transportation to all areas of the city, including transit, cycling and pedestrian infrastructure?
Equity and Inclusion
1. Which of the following measures will you support to address poverty and social isolation in our city?
- Affordable housing
- Low-income transit pass
- Fair Entry recreation pass
- Increased access to childcare
- Increased financial support to community associations
- Enough for All Poverty Reduction Strategy
2. Do you support providing City services primarily through unionized City workers, or do you support contracting out City services to private companies?
- Maintain unionized City workers
- Contract out
3. Would you support Fair Trade Calgary's initiative to make Calgary a globally-designated Fair Trade town? (Find out more at: http://www.fairtradecalgary.com/at-a-glance.html)
4. Do you support Universal Basic Income?
Diversity & Reconciliation
1. What is your plan to address the increase in hate crimes and overt displays of racism in our city?
2. How will you support policies to ensure more Indigenous voices are included in making municipal decisions?
3. What steps will you support to increase trust and reduce uses of force by police that disproportionately affect Black, Indigenous and People of Colour in Calgary? (Please use "other" for additional ideas.)
- Enthocultural training for police
- Increase number of Aboriginal Liaison Officers
- Alternative response models (PACT and DOAP teams)
Mental Health & Addictions
1. Which of the following do you support to address mental health and addictions?
- Implement alternative emergency response models
- Implement trauma-informed care
- Supervised consumption sites
Do you have any other comments you would like to share with us?
Other Election Information
- To see a current list of candidates and other election information including new ward boundaries and how to vote, click here.
- To order a Fast & Fair Climate Action lawn sign, click here.
- To RSVP for the Mayoral Candidate Forum on September 30, click here.
- Will you vote on October 18? Sign our pledge and let us know!
This survey was sent out to mayoral and ward councillor candidates throughout July and was developed in collaboration with the following organizations:
Do you like this page?